Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hossegor - Surf Spot Extraordinaire





With its long stretch of golden scalloped sandy beaches, Hossegor has earned a reputation as having the best beach break in Europe and one of the best in the world. The summer is by far the busiest and the most inconsistent waves of the year. Yesterday, I woke up to a beautiful hot sunny day so I decided to head for the coast for some surfing. It was one of the best wave days we've had here in a while, and as a result one of the busiest. There must have been at least 30 surfers at the break I usually go to, all vying for waves. I was also doing my best to stay out of everyone's way, not get hit, and avoid being pummelled by big sets.
I have heard that September is actually the best time of year to be surfing in Hossegor, more consistent waves and far less crowds. Its also the time of year in which Hossegor hosts the annual Quicksilver Pro France contest.
Downtown Hossegor is surf city. Just about every major surfwear label from Rip Curl to RVCA and Billabong to Volcom has its own shop. Most have all the gear you need along with the price tag to match. Also to be found are local surf labels and one of a kind boutiques.